Forney ISD Pre-K
The Forney ISD Pre-K program is available to students who turn 4 years old on or before September 1 of the upcoming school year.
The Texas Legislature determines eligibility requirements for free, public prekindergarten in Texas. Children are automatically eligible to attend pre-kindergarten if any of the following are met:
- A child who is a member of a household receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, Food Distribution Program onIndian Reservations, State Medicaid programs, or similar income-tested programs or other source of information, as determined by the Secretary of Agriculture (42 USC, §1758f)
- A child who is an eligible participant in Head Start or Even Start
- A child who is considered a migrant child
- A child who is considered homeless
- A child who is considered a runaway
- A child who is a foster child.
- A child who has a language other than English indicated on any portion of the Home Language Survey - (see Step 7 for the Home Language Survey)
- A child’s parent is an active duty member of the US Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard
- A child’s parent or guardian is an activated or mobilized member of the reserve components of the US Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard
- A child with a parent or guardian that is uniformed active service member that is missing in action (MIA)
- A child’s parent or guardian has been injured or killed while on active duty.
- A child’s parent or guardian is a peace officer, a firefighter, or an emergency medical first responder.
Note: Documentation supporting the eligibility will be required.
To qualify for prekindergarten, the following additional documents will be needed, depending on your child’s qualification:
- Proof of income
- earning statements for the preceding one month period
- SNAP letter that includes the student’s name and current dates
- Language- no additional documentation needed except for the Home Language Survey. Please note, your child will be scheduled to take an English proficiency test prior to being accepted into the prekindergarten program.
- Proof that you are the foster parent of the child
- Homeless- email Tina Spain for needed documentation (Tina Spain)
- Proof of military qualification
- First Responder
- A copy of the Criminal Justice Division certificate awarded annually in September, or a letter from the first responder’s local representative.